Sunday, October 5, 2008

further proof of my lameness.

as a kid, i never really cared about halloween the way i did christmas, thanksgiving, or easter. i just didn't have that spooky creativity. i did have some excitement about it. you know, endless free candy...the stupid little parties my elementary school put on. but i just never really got into it, the way i see so many people do.

i remember starting out as a witch around 5 years old. i had some strange obsession with the wizard of oz, and i always wanted to be the witch. i pulled that off every year til i was about 8 or 9, which is when i became a pilgrim. boy did i test the limits of that home-sewn costume each october 31st. somewhere around age 12 or 13 i wanted to do the more popular thing, and dress like my friends - you know, as a hooker, stripper, or britney spears. i pulled off the britney spears costume one year, and my mom wouldn't let me leave the house. my senior year in high school, i was a pink fairy. that was the thing to do back then. groups of friends would get together & plot what they'd be - so you'd see 10 or 15 of the same thing in the halls each halloween. it was kind of gang-like. my friends & i wore glittery wings, plastic tiaras, and carried kid's princess wands.

that was the last time i dressed up. which, is...ya know, reasonable. i was 17. it's not like i was trick or treating anymore. it's just that i was never invited to those crazy halloween college parties or anything. so, what little excitement i did have for the holiday definitely died off.

this year, though? i can't stop thinking about it! i'm not exactly sure why. part of it is that i'm carrying a little one, and the gears are already turning for his first round of holidays next year. i already looked through all the infant costumes at target (and find the chili pepper, bag-o-cash, and woopie cushion particularly amusing). and i already can't wait to see what kinds of things charlotte mommies puts together so i can get an idea of what we can do as a family next year. but i also think, it has something to do with my current surroundings...and my experience from last year.

last year's halloween, was one of the nicest, most relaxing nights i can remember. my house wasn't exactly sparkling, so after work i went to town on the living room & kitchen, in hopes that any trick or treaters wouldn't see my clutter. i did such a fantastic job of it, in such a short time, and it left me feeling relaxed. so, in the name of relaxing...i slipped on my fuzzy black slippers, lit a pumpkin scented candle, and poured myself a glass of wine. i settled in on the couch (closest to the front door), and just soaked up the night. trick or treaters came like a steady flow (husband was upstairs "hiding" - he says he doesn't "do" trick or treaters). i'd get up and answer the door with my big bowl of candy, awwing and oohing at every little one dressed up as something adorable. between knocks i'd sit on the couch with my wine & watch tv. it was a warm-ish night, with a slight crisp breeze - and the smell of my pumpkin candle and the warmth of my yummy wine just sent me into lala land. it was wonderful.

it was somewhat exciting, to participate in a "real" halloween experience. we'd lived in an apartment for the previous 2 or 3 halloweens, and never got 1 knock on the door. i suspect it was because we were on the 4th floor, and you know how "active" kids are these days. now, however, we live in a suburban development with a plethora of little ones. it gets me excited to celebrate. maybe i'll even "dress up" as something this year? probably not. or, i'll just be a pregnant chick.

today, in an attempt to get ready for the holiday....i pulled weeds, swept up random dirt, power washed my front porch & everything on it, power washed the sidewalk leading up to my front door, and hung orange halloween lights around my porch railing. the fall welcome mat also made it's 2008 debut. i'm thinking next weekend, we will get a hay bale or two, a corn stalk, a mum plant or two, and pumpkins - and i'll create a little display in the corner of our porch. then i will feel sufficiently decorated, and not like one of the lame houses people pass over. i'd love to find some window stickies too - but it seems like everywhere only has those gel things nowadays. whatever happened to the window stickies? they were the best part of decorating when i was a kid!

i'm kind of exhausted from doing all of that. i also did 2 (about to be 3) loads of laundry, transferred pages into a new scrapbook, made lunch, cut coupons, updated my coupon spreadsheet, researched sales, and made a temporary shopping list (saving the big one for triples later this week). now i must shower, do the shopping, finish up laundry, straighten up the kitchen, straighten up my bathroom, and make dinner before desperate housewives tonight. i'm thinking meatball parm subs tonight, mmm. husband made his famous spaghetti sauce & meatballs last night, and a nice cheesy gooey sub with the leftovers sounds absolutely delish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also appreciate Halloween so much more now that we live in a house and atually get trick or treaters. I love answering the door and seeing all the cute little costumes!